Bedbugs are more prevalent these days than in the past. I’m not sure if it just seems that way because people are talking about the issue more, or if bed bugs have seriously gotten out of control. If you happen to get them there are a few steps to follow so they don’t spread to your furniture, mattresses and infest your carpet and area rugs. Here are some step you can take to get rid of the bed bugs that have infested your home.
2. Do not sweep or mop floors as this increases the possibility of spreading eggs or larvae. You should vacuum the floors instead.
3. Bag up all your area rugs if you can. This will keep the bed bugs in the bag and not spreading all over. You have two choices here. The first would be to call a professional to take your area rugs and have them cleaned off-site. This is the safest method, as most professionals use steam to clean your carpets. Your other option would be to bag up your area rugs and bring them to a laundromat and clean them with the highest heat setting possible. This is dangerous though if you have handmade, silk, or wool carpets as the colors may bleed.
4. You must vacuum the entire house to remove the bugs from the carpet. Use a vacuum that has an easy bag to dispose. Also add some borax powder to the bag. As the bed bugs are picked up they will mix with the borax, ensuring the bugs are eradicated. After vacuuming, remove the bag from the vacuum (best to do this outside), place it in a plastic bag and seal the bag, before putting it into the trash.
5. For your wall to wall carpet it will need a professional steam cleaning. Ask the carpet cleaning technician to use the highest heat setting possible.
2. Put all stuffed animals, shoes and any other items that cannot be washed in the dryer for 30 minutes, once again on the highest heat setting.
3. Using a dry stiff brush, scrub mattress seams to remove bedbugs and any eggs before vacuuming the mattress and surrounding carpet. Next, seal the mattress and box springs in a woven zippered cover to keep bedbugs from leaving or entering. Keep your mattress covered for one year. Bedbugs can live up to one year without eating. Or, as an alternative, you can call a professional to steam clean your mattresses as well.
As always, JP Carpet Cleaning Expert Floor Care is here to help you with whatever floor problems you may have. Please do not hesitate to call us (818.263.9314) , send us an email, or leave a comment here and we will try to help you as best as we can.